Re: Invulnerable VACUUM process thrashing everything

From: Russ Garrett <russ(at)garrett(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Jeffrey W(dot) Baker" <jwbaker(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgperf <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Invulnerable VACUUM process thrashing everything
Date: 2005-12-29 22:53:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

In my experience a kill -9 has never resulted in any data loss in this
situation (it will cause postgres to detect that the process died, shut
down, then recover), and most of the time it only causes a 5-10sec
outage. I'd definitely hesitate to recommend it in a production context
though, especially since I think there are some known race-condition
bugs in 7.4.

VACUUM *will* respond to a SIGTERM, but it doesn't check very often -
I've often had to wait hours for it to determine that it's been killed,
and my tables aren't anywhere near 1TB. Maybe this is a place where
things could be improved...

Incidentally, I have to kill -9 some of our MySQL instances quite
regularly because they do odd things. Not something you want to be
doing, especially when MySQL takes 30mins to recover.

Russ Garrett
Last.fm Ltd.
russ(at)last(dot)fm