Running Postgres on CD - With Win32

From: Dennis Wagner <dennis(at)dennis-wagner(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Running Postgres on CD - With Win32
Date: 2005-12-29 17:21:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi everybody!

I was using Postgres for quite some time now without any problems. Now
I'm facing some new challenge: Create a Read-Only Client out of a given
Application and put it on CD/DVD. As the Application uses a
PostgreSQL-DB (running on a FreeBSD-Server) I would like to at least
keep the DB-Interface and use Postgres. The client-app, unfortunatly, is
written for the .NET-Platform and doesn't run under mono (yet). So the
CD would need to be run under Windows for the moment. I found some
Threads discussion using a Knoppix-like approach to get Postgres running
on a read-only medium but they were all concentrationg on linux. As far
as I understand there is no way of turning WAL completely off (which
would be ok for a CD-version as false writes cannot occur und thus
cannot destroy the db-content). So then there are two possibilities:
Send all writes to log-files to nirvana (like the good old BOFH used to
do) or into a memdrive. Has anybody accomplished the task to run
PostgreSQL from CD (even on Linux) and is willing to contribute some of
his/her experiences?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

...Dennis