Re: binary vs. txt dumps with pg

From: Dick Visser <dick(dot)visser(at)tienhuis(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: binary vs. txt dumps with pg
Date: 2005-12-17 18:32:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Tom

> Have you retested this assumption recently? We got rid of the OIDs and
> stuff in the default comments, so I think that you should be able to
> just diff the text dump files without any weird processing.

Hmmm you're right, they are the same now. I don't know what I did this
week, but I was pretty sure the files were different.
Nevermind then, as this saves time and effort.

> There's a timestamp in the custom format file header.

Ah OK that explains the different sums.
Would it be an idea to make it a (default) configuration option for
pg_dump to include a timestamp?

You could work around it by disgarding the first X bytes when
checksumming. Any idea what X would be?

Best regards,

--
* *** Dick Visser TIENHUIS Networking