SQLJ

From: Dan Gowin <DGowin(at)avantec(dot)net>
To: "PGSQL HACKERS (E-mail)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: SQLJ
Date: 1999-01-04 14:26:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,
I've just read in DBMS magazine that Oracle, Informix, etc...
are replacing there proprietary Procedural Language's (PL/SQL) with
JVMs (JAVA virtual machine). Apparently according to the database
vendors, this will obviate the need for middle ware products and to
make CORBA much more intuitive.

My personal opinion is this is yet another mechanism to slow down
the database engine. I don't mind using JAVA in the database engine
as a procedural language, but I think there is still great merit in
breaking
this out as a separate process (Application Server).

D.