Re: large objects are "deprecated" ?

From: Kris Jurka <jurka(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: large objects are "deprecated" ?
Date: 2005-12-16 19:15:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Marc Herbert wrote:
> Hi Kris,

Please send JDBC questions to the pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org mailing
list, not any individual developers.

> doc/pgjdbc.xml, written by Peter Eisentraut. Concerning Large
> Objects, this document claims:
>
> PostgreSQL provides two distinct ways to store binary data. [in the
> table, or outside the table] In order to determine which method is
> appropriate you need to understand the limitations of each method....
>
> Peter himself says the opposite, at least that's what I understood from:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.postgresql.odbc/4971

Large objects are not deprecated. As the documentation claims there are
advantages and drawbacks to using each datatype. The decision of which
to use really revolves around how much data you intend to store.

Kris Jurka