Re: Overriding the optimizer

From: "Craig A(dot) James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overriding the optimizer
Date: 2005-12-16 03:38:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> So your main example bad query is possibly just a case of lack of
> analyze stats and wrong postgresql.conf config? And that's what causes
> you to shut down your database? Don't you want your problem FIXED?

I'm trying to help by raising a question that I think is important, and have an honest, perhaps vigorous, but respectful, discussion about it. I respect everyone's opinion, and I hope you respect mine. I've been in this business a long time, and I don't raise issues lightly.

Yes, I want my query fixed. And I may post it, in a thread with a new title. In fact, I posted a different query with essentially the same problem a while back and got nothing that helped:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-11/msg00133.php

(I can't help but point out that Tom's response was to suggest a way to fool the optimizer so as to prevent it from "optimizing" the query. In other words, he told me a trick that would force a particular plan on the optimizer. Which is exactly the point of this discussion.)

The point is that the particular query is not relevant -- it's the fact that this topic (according to Tom) has been and continues to be raised. This should tell us all something, that it's not going to go away, and that it's a real issue.

Regards,
Craig