Re: BUG #2116: Searching text fields does not work in EUC_JP

From: Jon Keating <jon_keating(at)gcnet(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2116: Searching text fields does not work in EUC_JP
Date: 2005-12-15 23:29:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> Is the database's locale set to something that works with EUC_JP? You
> can't just whack the encoding around without paying attention to having
> a compatible locale setting ... and unfortunately, PG doesn't have
> enough knowledge about locales to warn you when you choose a combination
> that doesn't work.

Well, it was set to Japan_Japanese (or something similiar to that). I am
running it on a Japanese system. So, I created a new database cluster
with initdb (after struggling with runas.exe under Windows) withe a
locale of "C". I then restored my DB and it worked fine.

I find it strange that it won't search Japanese strings with a locale of
Japanese... which it defaulted to doing during the Win32 Installer.
Anyways, it would be nice to have it as an option or something. If it is
there and I didn't see it.. sorry in advance!

Jon