Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Andrus <eetasoft(at)online(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Toolkit for creating editable grid
Date: 2005-12-15 16:00:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrus wrote:
>>>I want to create editable grid (client application) for large Postgres
>>>table:
>>>
>>>At startup this grid show first screenful of records and allows to edit
>>>them.
>>>When user presses page down key, this grid should read next screenful of
>>>records and allow to edit them etc.
>>>PgADMIN tries to read the whole table.
>>>
>>>Is there any free toolkit or sample application for this ?
>>
>>Umm - running on what platform?
>
> In Microsoft Windows
>
>>Written in what language?
>
> I'm in progress of selecting development platform.
pgAdmin3 is written in C++, using the cross-plattform and free
GUI-Toolkit wxwindows (www.wxwindows.org I believe).
pgAdmin3 includes an editable grid-view (right-click a table, and
select "Edit Data").

I believe pgAdmin3 is licensed under a BSD-License, so you might even
be able to reuse some code.

> I prefer major (A status) programming language using classification from
> http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
I'm not sure if I would trust a programming language ranking that is based
on search-engine results. First, a higher rating might indicate that people
have lots of trouble with the language (Because the search for, and post
solution-x for the problems). Seconds, _any_ programming language comparision
that doesn't say in what _context_ or for which _problems_ a language is
good, and for which it is bad, is worthless IMHO.

Including C,C++,Visual Basic, PHP and PL/SQL(!) in the _same_ ranking is just
insane. They serve vastly difference purposes (Just imagine a web-application
in PL/SQL, a kernel in Visual Basic or a GUI-Applikation in PHP)

greetings, Florian Pflug