Re: Refactoring psql for backward-compatibility

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Refactoring psql for backward-compatibility
Date: 2005-12-15 01:52:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>If it was me I'd just copy the pg_dump way of doing things...
>
> To the extent possible, I'd like to preserve the exact functionality
> (or lack thereof) of previous versions. Would this be possible that
> way?

Don't see it'd be too hard. All pg_dump basically does is this:

if (version <= 7.3) {
query = "..";
else if (version == 7.4) {
query = "..";
else
query = "..";

Other than that you might need some smarts in the output table display
logic so that it doesn't "assume" what columns are available from the
queries.

Or something.

Chris