Re: Multi-row update w. plpgsql function

From: Daniel Hertz <danielhertz(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: "postgreSQL (General)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-row update w. plpgsql function
Date: 2005-12-15 00:29:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Aaron Koning wrote:
> This might be easier to use this SQL:
> UPDATE message_table SET status = 'A' WHERE mid IN (1,2,3);
>
> The following might work for Cocoon (never used it):
> UPDATE message_table SET status = 'A' WHERE mid IN
> (<xsp-request:get-parameter name="approved"/>);
>
> Aaron
>

> On 12/13/05, Daniel Hertz <danielhertz(at)shaw(dot)ca> wrote:
>
>> Given a set of checkbox values that are submitted through an html form,
>> how do you loop through the submitted values to update more than one row
>> in a table?

You rock, Aaron! Thanks for helping this newbie out. Much more
economical than looping with my function.

The (<xsp-request:get-parameter name="approved"/>) isn't working, but
I'll try to see if I can use some xslt to parse the query string and
replace a variable ($approved_values) in:

UPDATE message_table SET status = 'A' WHERE mid IN ($approved_values);

If I new some javascript, I could probably do it client side, BEFORE it was sent to the server, but SIGH...I'm a graphic designer with little coding skill.

Thanks again.

Daniel