Re: postgreSQL 7.3.3 crashing on server with Itanium processor...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Taranjit Singh Lamba" <taranjits(at)sizeti(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgreSQL 7.3.3 crashing on server with Itanium processor...
Date: 2003-06-18 21:28:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Taranjit Singh Lamba" <taranjits(at)sizeti(dot)com> writes:
> H/W Configuration - Dell 7150 Quad Itanium 1 ( 733 MHz) with 4G RAM

> OS - Red Hat 7.2
> - Postgresql ver 7.3.3 compiled from raw hide red hat rpms.

[raises eyebrow] Does RHL 7.2 claim to support Itanium? Especially SMP
Itanium? That release was awhile back, I believe, and I'd not be
surprised at kernel bugs that show up with such hardware.

If you've got a fully up-to-date kernel and have eliminated the theory
of memory problems, please send us debugger stack traces from a few of
the crashes. (The traces will be more useful if you first rebuild with
debugging symbols enabled, which I think is not the default with the
RPMs.)