Re: postgresql performance tuning

From: Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com>
To: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
Cc: Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql performance tuning
Date: 2005-12-06 20:48:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2005, at 11:14 AM, Ameet Kini wrote:
>
>> need for vacuums. However, it'd be great if there was a similar
>> automatic
>> reindex utility, like say, a pg_autoreindex daemon. Are there any plans
>> for this feature? If not, then would cron scripts be the next best
>
> what evidence do you have that you are suffering index bloat? or are
> you just looking for solutions to problems that don't exist as an
> academic exercise? :-)

The files for the two indices on a single table used 7.8GB of space
before a reindex, and 4.4GB after. The table had been reindexed over
the weekend and a vacuum was completed on the table about 2 hours ago.

The two indices are now 3.4GB smaller. I don't think this counts as
bloat, because of our use case. Even so, we reindex our whole database
every weekend.

-- Alan