Re: [HACKERS] 6.1 pg_dump core dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: bower(at)Kodak(dot)COM (J Christopher Bower)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.1 pg_dump core dump
Date: 1998-07-28 14:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

bower(at)image(dot)Kodak(dot)COM (J Christopher Bower) writes:
> I decided to debug the 6.1 pg_dump source and determined that the core dump
> occured dumping tblinfo cleanup. Specifically when structures allocated for
> sequence tables are being cleaned up.

It looks like this bug has been fixed in a different way in the current
pg_dump sources (clearTableInfo now knows that sequences don't have the
standard attributes). It also looks like pg_dump has changed enough
since 6.1 that any patches wouldn't be easily transferred back and
forth anyway.

You might be able to run the current pg_dump against your 6.1 database
by recompiling the current pg_dump.c/.h/common.c atop the 6.1 libpq.
That should cure the protocol incompatibility. However, pg_dump is
friendly enough with the system table layouts that I fear it might not
work with an old database anyway.

Probably your best bet is just to go ahead and use your patched pg_dump
to extract data from your old database.