Re: Changing database owner (7.4)

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing database owner (7.4)
Date: 2005-12-05 23:45:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Steve Crawford wrote:
>> Changing the owner of a database is easy in 8.x (alter database...)
>> but seems less so in 7.4.
>>
>> Is there a method of safely changing the owner of the database (via
>> command or via updating pg* tables) in 7.4?
>>
> Use a transaction and use update to pg_database

So just to be sure I don't mess this up...

1: Connect to server as user postgres database template1.
2: "update pg_database set datdba=1 where datname='my_db_name';"

By transaction are you suggesting wrapping the whole thing in a
begin/commit pair and reviewing the changes before a commit?

Also, do I need to be concerned about changing datacl (or any other
column) or just use the normal grant procedure for that?

Cheers,
Steve