Re: Unexpected EOF on client connection

From: "Francisco Figueiredo Jr(dot)" <francisco(at)npgsql(dot)org>
To: Howard Cole <howardnews(at)selestial(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unexpected EOF on client connection
Date: 2009-12-01 16:26:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 13:52, Howard Cole <howardnews(at)selestial(dot)com> wrote:
> I am getting many entries in my log of this type:
>
> 2009-12-01 00:13:19 GMTLOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
> 2009-12-01 00:13:19 GMTLOG could not receive data from client: No connection
> could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
>
> I tend to get these message in batches of 2 to 8 - checking the number of
> connections at the time, they do not appear to be overloaded.
>
> I am running 8.4.1 on Windows 2K3 with a C# application using Npgsql. All
> connections are to the localhost and there is no firewall.

Maybe this is Npgsql removing connections from pool after some time.
But it may not be this case because Npgsql finishes the connection
correctly when removing it from the pool.

You can confirm that by playing with your max connection pool and min
connection pool values in your connection string. Try to put a higher
value of min connection pool, so they aren't closed too frequently.

Also, as Richard said, check your connection usage pattern in your application.

I hope it helps.

--
Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.