Re: ident authentication with named localhost

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Link <dlink(at)soundscan(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ident authentication with named localhost
Date: 2006-05-11 22:13:53
Lists: pgsql-general

David Link <dlink(at)soundscan(dot)com> writes:
> Does anyone know how I can test ident?

I'd try sniffing the IP traffic to and from it with a packet sniffer
and/or tracing the daemon's system calls with strace. Manually invoking
the daemon isn't going to prove a lot, you want to watch its reaction
to Postgres.

I believe some flavors of identd have debug tracing options, too
... check the man page ...