Re: Open request for benchmarking input

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Open request for benchmarking input
Date: 2005-11-27 00:12:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

Qingqing Zhou wrote:
> "Jeff Frost" <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com> wrote

>> "The hardware I have available is as follows:
>>
>> * 2x dual Opteron 8G ram, 2x144G 15Krpm SCSI
>> * 2x dual Opteron 8G ram, 2x72G 15Krpm SCSI
>> * 1x dual Opteron 16G ram, 2x36G 15Krpm SCSI 16x400G 7200rpm SATA
>>
> (2) The hardware configuration may not reflect all potentials of PostgreSQL.

These boxes don't look like being designed for a DB server. The first
are very CPU bound, and the third may be a good choice for very large
amounts of streamed data, but not optimal for TP random access.

Hopefully, when publicly visible benchmarks are performed, machines are
used that comply with common engineering knowledge, ignoring those guys
who still believe that sequential performance is the most important
issue on disk subsystems for DBMS.

Regards,
Andreas