Re: MERGE vs REPLACE

From: Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)seznam(dot)cz>
To: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MERGE vs REPLACE
Date: 2005-11-22 23:24:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jaime Casanova wrote:

> the FROM clause is required by default (starting with 8.1) unless you
> change a postgresql.conf parameter.
>
> and i don't think that idea will have any fan...

Bruce already replied to your first statement so, what idea won't have
any fan ? It's not that we would change what MERGE does. Postgres just
does not requeire FROM clause in SELECT and second parameter of MERGE
can be SELECT which means you can do what REPLACE) does without problems
and without breaking something or violating standard and like I said you
can do the same in oracle using dual.

Btw about that keys, oracle gives error on many-to-one or many-to-many
relationship between the source and target tables.

--
Regards
Petr Jelinek (PJMODOS)