oids and tsearch2

From: Marcus Engene <mengpg(at)engene(dot)se>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: oids and tsearch2
Date: 2005-11-14 14:23:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi list.

I have a table as

CREATE TABLE mytable
(
objectid INTEGER PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL
,description TEXT
,idxfti tsvector -- for tsearch2
)
WITHOUT OIDS;

CREATE INDEX mytable_fts ON mytable USING gist(idxfti);

...and the update trigger when description is changed.

I wonder, was it a bad idea to create mytable without oids? Does the
tsearch2 indexing require it? If yes, must I recreate the table or can I
add oids on an existing table?

From the user doc about oids, I haven't really figured out when to use
them or not. So by habit I disable them.

Thanks,
Marcus