Re: simultaneous autovacuum and postmaster crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lsq(at)nym(dot)hush(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: simultaneous autovacuum and postmaster crash
Date: 2011-12-28 19:21:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

lsq(at)nym(dot)hush(dot)com writes:
> I got a simultaneous autovacuum and postmaster crash, then another
> postmaster crash a few seconds later on restart. After a third
> restart the system was stable. I haven't found anything obviously
> matching this defect on-line.

Those stack traces are pretty fascinating, but after studying them
I have to think that you had some sort of hardware or VM glitch.
"Bus error" is an uncommon event on x86_64 platforms, and for three
different processes to all get that, in three unrelated places, at
nearly the same time pushes the bounds of credulity. What's more,
all three of those places are frequently-executed code paths, so if
there were some kind of PG bug there I'm sure we'd have seen it before.

I'm not too sure about the wisdom of running packages built for Centos
on Ubuntu, but as for this particular event, I'd write it off to cosmic
rays or something. (Speaking of which, does that box have ECC memory?)