Re: Enable data checksums by default

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enable data checksums by default
Date: 2019-03-22 16:07:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> writes:
> I think, the next step in that direction would be to enable data
> checksums by default. They make sense in most setups,

Well, that is exactly the point that needs some proof, not just
an unfounded assertion.

IMO, the main value of checksums is that they allow the Postgres
project to deflect blame. That's nice for us but I'm not sure
that it's a benefit for users. I've seen little if any data to
suggest that checksums actually catch enough problems to justify
the extra CPU costs and the risk of false positives.