Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head
Date: 2015-08-02 20:00:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2015-08-01 19:13:05 -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
>> That's a bug. The test_ddl_deparse suite leaves a shell type, which
>> pg_upgrade fails to reproduce. Whether to have pg_upgrade support that or
>> just error out cleanly is another question.

> There seems little justification to not support shell types. We should
> also add a shell type to the standard regression testing database,
> they're "weird" enough that some increased exposure seems like a good
> idea.

Agreed. I was a bit surprised to find that pg_dump skips shell types,
actually. Probably that's a hangover from when "create function foo()
returns bogus" would autocreate a shell type named "bogus". In all
modern releases, it's fairly hard to accidentally create a shell type,
so we should probably assume that the user meant it to be there.