Re: Rethinking our fulltext phrase-search implementation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Artur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rethinking our fulltext phrase-search implementation
Date: 2016-12-21 14:30:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Artur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> Otherwise it seems that queries like 'a <-> (b & c)' will always return
> false. Then we need maybe some warning message.

Well, the query as written is pointless, but it could be useful with
something other than "b" and "c" as the AND-ed terms. In this usage
"&" is equivalent to "<0>", which we know has corner-case uses.

I'm not inclined to issue any sort of warning for unsatisfiable queries.
We don't issue a warning when a SQL WHERE condition collapses to constant
FALSE, and that seems like exactly the same sort of situation.

It strikes me though that the documentation should point this out.