Re: Update trigger help

From: A Gilmore <agilmore(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: A Gilmore <agilmore(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Update trigger help
Date: 2005-10-24 19:11:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

A Gilmore wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a main table (t1), with several other tables referencing the ID
> of t1. When I update a row on t1 Id like to remove any rows that
> reference it in the other tables. The typical way of doing this Id
> assume is using ON UPDATE trigger, which Ive written below. Is this all
> correct? In the past Ive just been using plpgsql for returning rows in
> which a VIEW wasn't sufficient, so Id like to just make sure Im doing
> this correctly.

Er, rather here is the function had I proof read my email :

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION t1_onUpdate() RETURNS TRIGGER AS '
DECLARE
id INT;
BEGIN
id := NEW.id;
DELETE FROM t2 WHERE t1_id = id;
DELETE FROM t3 WHERE t1_id = id;
DELETE FROM t4 WHERE t1_id = id;
DELETE FROM t5 WHERE t1_id = id;
DELETE FROM t6 WHERE t1_id = id;
RETURN NEW;
END;
'LANGUAGE plpgsql;

CREATE TRIGGER t1_onUpdate BEFORE UPDATE ON t1
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE t1_onUpdate();

Thank you,
- A Gilmore