Re: UCSD CSE dept uses MS SQL

From: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UCSD CSE dept uses MS SQL
Date: 2005-10-21 18:05:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jeff,
>
>> I don't know how many university students are on this list, but I
>> attend University of California, San Diego. That's a major university
>> and a part of the same university system as Berkeley.
>>
>> I have recently been taking some computer engineering classes there,
>> and in the only two classes that have used databases, both used MS SQL
>> Server. So, I take it from that that UCSD is basically a MS SQL shop.
>

> That's interesting given that UCB is very much a PostgreSQL shop, as is
> Hastings. I wonder if it's left up to the faculty?

Well, I don't know exactly who you mean by faculty. It's obviously
someone at the school, I doubt that it's mandated at the state level.
Perhaps the database researchers use something else? I'm sure that if a
professor really wanted to they could use whatever they wanted, but MS
SQL seems to be the one that's already supported and maintained by other
staff.

I'll just ask my database professor directly, and send an update to this
list.

Either way, the classes that make use of databases certainly seem to be
teaching MS SQL. It's a shame that my university defaults to teaching
"industry standard" software. A university ahould be academic, not
vocational school.

The only alternative database that I've heard mentioned by students was,
no surprise, MySQL. Oh well, at least the professor heard of PostgreSQL.

Regards,
Jeff Davis