Re: 8.04 and RedHat/CentOS init script issue and sleep

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.04 and RedHat/CentOS init script issue and sleep
Date: 2005-10-20 19:40:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>In short: pg_timezone_initialize() took about 8.2 seconds out of the
>total time of 8.73 seconds.
>
>Since pg_timezone_initialize() needs to scan all of the 500-odd files
>under postgresql/share/timezone/, it isn't so surprising that it would
>take a little bit of time. But 8 seconds seems like a lot. The trace
>makes it look like localtime() performs stat("/etc/localtime") on each
>call, which is pretty ugly --- I wonder if there isn't some way around
>that?

Further data points:

I just observed this taking over 20 seconds on my clunky old pII 266.
That's really horrible. But pg_ctl -w start was able to complete in
about 2 seconds.

Even on my much faster laptop the timezone lib startup took 3 or 4
seconds (and pg_ctl -w start came back in about 1 second).

cheers

andrew