Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Tony Marston <tony(at)marston-home(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Jim C(dot) Nasby'" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, 'Bruce Momjian' <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, 'David Fetter' <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function
Date: 2005-10-20 17:16:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tony Marston wrote:

>No, but Oracle does, which is why I am trying to produce SQL statements that
>will run on MySQL, PostgreSQL and Oracle without the need for conversion.

Hi Tony,

Let me make a constructive suggestion. I see what you are trying to do
and I can understand why this is useful. However, I agree with the main
individuals here that it should not be a part of the core project.
Fortunately PostgreSQL is extensible and it is quite easy to release
custom extensions that can make these things happen without messing with
the core project.

One of the things I am going to be doing is creating either a Perl
(client) or PLPGSQL (server) function to create concat() functions with
up to x number of arguments. This will be used as part of our
server-side porting framework to allow for easier migration from MySQL
in particular.

Would you be interested in participating in/testing/contributing to such
a project?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting