Re: split builtins.h to quote.h

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: split builtins.h to quote.h
Date: 2014-12-13 16:00:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Well, yes :) I missed that. Note that I am leaning to Robert's
>> direction as well to do a clear separation... Now if the final
>> consensus is different, then let's use the patch attached that puts
>> the SQL functions to builtins.h, and the rest in quote.h.

> I am unlcear about what the consensus is on this, and don't have strong
> feelings either way. Do we need a vote? It's not of earth-shattering
> importance, but my slight inclination would be to do the minimally
> invasive thing where there is disagreement.

Well, the minimally invasive thing would be to reject the patch
altogether. Do we really need this?

In a quick look, the patch seems to result in strictly increasing the
number of #include's needed, which ISTM is not a positive sign for a
refactoring, especially given the number of files it hits. If there
had been some #include's removed as well, I'd be happier.