Re: Is Postgres comparable to MSSQL

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Is Postgres comparable to MSSQL
Date: 2005-10-19 04:04:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 01:03:48PM -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
>
>>If a company themselves announces that they use PostgreSQL we could
>>probably put up their name and links to where they make such claims.
>
> Well, if you do this, you potentially run afoul of their marketing
> departments, who tend to get grumpy when they're not consulted on
> marketing initiatives by others. So you'd better make sure that such
> links are official company lines.

IMHO it all depends on how we present those links.

If we call the page "these guys endorse PostgreSQL" of course we'd
get cease&desist letters; since that's simply false.

If we call the page "links mentioning PostgreSQL on other corporate
sites" it's hard for me to imagine any complaints from even the
most uptight marketing department. At that point all it does is
drive traffic and help their google page-rank score.