Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Aly S(dot)P Dharshi" <aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net>, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Date: 2005-10-17 17:41:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Jan Wieck wrote:

> On 10/17/2005 10:16 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>>
>>> What is bad about leaving pg_catalog all lower case and expect
>>> everyone to query the catalog quoted?
>>

>> The fact that it will break every nontrivial client currently in
>> existence. Those quotes aren't there in the clients and we can't
>> suddenly mandate them to become there. Also, that approach does not
>> work for built-in functions (MAX, etc)
>

> Ugh ... got me on the MAX part.

For built-in functions and aggregates, I see no option other than having
duplicate entries in the catalogs. I.e. have an aggregate called "max"
and a duplicate aggregate called "MAX" (nobody has explained to me why
this is a bad idea aside from the single point of truth concerns).

The rest can be solved with clever uses of views :-) Furthermore the
creation of these views should be easily automated. I am willing to
write a tool to automate this.