Re: Sudden JVM crashes - a Postgres driver problem?

From: Patric Bechtel <bechtel(at)ipcon(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sudden JVM crashes - a Postgres driver problem?
Date: 2005-10-13 19:37:55
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Robert,

I might be totally wrong, but I've had some problem with SuSE
distribution like this, and could get to stop it with the help of the
hotspot team.
Just as a test, comment out any appearances of ldap in
/etc/nsswitch.conf. Sounds very strange, but try it. If it works, you
have to set LDPRELOAD to a $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/$ARCH/libjsig.so.

hope that helps...

Robert Sösemann schrieb am 13.10.2005 13:23:
> Hello,
>

> we have a really tricky problem while running our web-application:
>
> The JVM crashes from time to time for no apparent reason.
> There seems to be no direct relation to any user-action,
> method-call or whatever.
>
> We've checked the JVM crash dumps, but were not able to find something suspicious. The only ideas we've come up, were the
> usual suspects: JNI-calls and JDBC-Type2-drivers.
>
> This is our current setup:
> - JVM 1.4.2_09 on Linux SuSE 9.3
> - mysql-database 4.1.14-max with
> - mysql-connector-java-3.0.14-production driver
> - postgresql-database 8.0.3 with postgresql-8.0-312.jdbc3 driver
>
> The only JNI-calls that I know of, is through some 3rd party UUID-library from "org.doomdark.jug". Maybe the forementioned
> jdbc-drivers contain JNI-calls, despite being Type4-drivers.
>
> I've also checked a bunch of mailing-lists and it seems there are some outstanding bugs in hotspot, that may trigger the
> crash. Does anybody have more information or a workaround for this?
>

> Who can help? Thanks in advance!
>
> Robert
> Leiter Softwareentwicklung
>
> Gölz & Schwarz GmbH
> Waltherstr. 29, 80337 München, Germany
> phone: + 49 - (0)89 / 54 46 70 - 0
> fax: +49 - (0)89 / 54 46 70 - 10
> e-mail: robert(dot)soesemann(at)goelz(dot)com
> web: http://www.goelz.com
> Sie suchen den aktiven Dialog mit Ihren Kunden? Sie möchten neue Wege gehen, um
> Ihre Zielgruppen online zu motivieren und zu binden? Dann haben wir genau das Richtige
> für Sie: Marketing Suite - die Komplett-Lösung für intelligentes Online Marketing!
> Informationen zur Marketing Suite erhalten Sie unter http://www.goelz.com/marketingsuite.

> match

- --
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Regards
Patric Bechtel, IPCON Informationssysteme OHG
Kontakt: http://www.ipcon.de/kontakt.php