Re: SEVEN cross joins?!?!?

From: Daryl Richter <daryl(at)brandywine(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SEVEN cross joins?!?!?
Date: 2005-10-13 13:04:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

Frank Bax wrote:
> At 09:00 AM 10/12/05, Daryl Richter wrote:
>
>> Richard Huxton wrote:
>>
>>> Frank Bax wrote:

[snip]

> Richard, you've summed it up nicely.
>
> Splitting locations into subsets (like 2,2,3) doesn't work because it is
> possible that low values in one location can be offset by high values in
> another location, and still result in an excellent combo.
>
> The good news is these suggestions got me thinking outside the box. I
> think I can program a modified brute-force that bypasses large numbers
> of combos early. It might still be too large/slow, so I'd be interested
> in finding more info about these "smarter algorithms" in option 2.
> Where do I look?

If you're mathematically inclined, I would first look at using
Lagrangian Relexation, it may be appropriate for your problem:

http://www.2112fx.com/lagrange.html

--
Daryl Richter
Director of Technology

(( Brandywine Asset Management )
( "Expanding the Science of Global Investing" )
( http://www.brandywine.com ))