Re: suggested warning about perl nested named subroutines

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: suggested warning about perl nested named subroutines
Date: 2005-10-12 02:01:02
Lists: pgsql-patches

David Fetter wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 09:58:22PM -0400, Neil Conway wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 2005-11-10 at 18:36 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
>>

>>>Examples of each and how they'd break would be good.
>>>

>>Is that needed? Seems like overkill to me.
>>

>IMHO, yes, and no, respectively. If there's an example, there's fewer
>frustrated people pestering lists about it.

If this were a Postgres problem I'd agree with you. But it isn't, really
- it's a Perl problem, which is properly documented in the Perl docs, to
which this note refers.

I don't think we'll get flooded with problems - Greg is the first person
who has complained about it in the 9 months or so since version 8.0 was
released.

cheers

andrew