Restoring database from alternative location

From: Marcus Better <marcus(at)better(dot)se>
To: psql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restoring database from alternative location
Date: 2005-10-11 18:12:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

I used initlocation to create a database in some directory other than
the default, with Postgresl 7.4. I have a file-system level backup of
this data directory, but the main data directory (which did not contain
any real data) was lost.

Is there a way to restore the database from this backup?

The backed-up directory has the following layout:
base
base/17142
base/17142/{lots of files here}

Can I add this data directory to a fresh Postgresql installation? I
would be very grateful for any comments on this problem!

I am running Postgresql 7.4 on Debian i386.

Please CC replies to me, since I'm not (yet) subscribed to the list.

Regards,

Marcus B.