Unrecognized service: 8.1.3 on Fedora Core 3

From: François <francois(dot)x(dot)hetu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unrecognized service: 8.1.3 on Fedora Core 3
Date: 2006-02-18 02:40:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Just upgraded postgresql to 8.1.3, and successfuly configured, started and
stopped the RDBMS. One thing I just couldn't do: postgresql as a service on
FC3.

I copied and renamed this script: postgresql-8.1.3/contrib/start-scripts/linux
to : /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql and followed the instructions within the
script:

# make symlinks to
# /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K02postgresql
# /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K02postgresql
# /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K02postgresql
# /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S98postgresql
# /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S98postgresql
# /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S98postgresql

if I try at the command line to start the service:

> service postgresql start

I get:

> unrecognized service

I'm certain it's a simple thing to get the RDBMS fire up at boot, but then,
after searching and searching for a solution, I just gave up.

Thanks for your help,

Francois