Windows, ODBC drivers and strange points ...

From: Marten Feldtmann <m(dot)feldtmann(at)t-online(dot)de>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Windows, ODBC drivers and strange points ...
Date: 2005-10-09 11:04:21
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I'm trying to use PostgreSQL via ODBC under Windows
and IBM VisualAge Smalltalk. Normally ODBC works
pretty well, but I've found two problems with the
ODBC driver of PostgreSQL, which makes the whole
thing not working:

a) All column names are returned from the database
in lowercase and not in the form the client send
then when doing the "create table ..." statement.

Which leads to the problem, that other frameworks
on top of it do not find their columns do make the
oo-rdbms mapping stuff.

b) All strings returned by the ODBC driver are defined
in a buffer, which is offered to the ODBC subsystem
as a string doubled in size - though I told the
databaase NOT to create a UNICODE db.

An example: a column has the result type char(15). The
ODBC drivers put the result of this column into a
memory with a size of 30 characters.

The ODBC subsystem now thinks: fine - I've a character
column with size 30 and creates a string 30 characters
long and one gets 15 corrects characters and 15 "0" (null)
bytes.

I've never seen this behaviour with other ODBC drivers
I've used so far, therefore I think, this is pretty
strange behaviour.

I'm using the 8.0.3 database and the 8.0.1.2 drivers.

Any ideas ???

Marten Feldtmann