Extracting client code

From: "Jon Earle" <jepg(at)kronos(dot)honk(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Extracting client code
Date: 2006-09-28 14:08:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi folks,

I have a need to extract the postgres client code from the tarball for
inclusion into a separate application. This app will talk to a PG database
(obviously) over a network and will be the only app that will be
communicating with the database (aside from a PHP application on the same box
as the PG server). This app will be compiled on various platforms - AIX,
HPUX, Solaris, Linux and Unixware are the main ones that come to mind. I
have no specific need to keep the PG code in a library so compiling the PG
client code together with my application code module is not only acceptable,
it would be preferred.

Currently, the app is using mysql client code in this precise fashion - I'd
like to "simply" replace the mysql code with postgres code for our own
consistency.

Before I get too far into working this up, at this point, I'm really just
curious if this is doable. Can I just take the src/interface/libpq dir
contents, parachute them into the same dir as my app, then just compile it
all together (after making the appropriate changes to my own app, of course)?

Thanks for any insight!