Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text
Date: 2023-10-06 17:22:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2023-10-06 at 09:58 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> If you want to be rigid about it, you also need to consider whether
> the
> Unicode version used by the ICU library in use matches the one used
> by
> the in-core tables.

What problem are you concerned about here? I thought about it and I
didn't see an obvious issue.

If the ICU unicode version is ahead of the Postgres unicode version,
and no unassigned code points are used according to the Postgres
version, then there's no problem.

And in the other direction, there might be some code points that are
assigned according to the postgres unicode version but unassigned
according to the ICU version. But that would be tracked by the
collation version as you pointed out earlier, so upgrading ICU would be
like any other ICU upgrade (with the same risks). Right?

Regards,
Jeff Davis