Inherited indexes.

From: Fredrik Olsson <fredrik(dot)olsson(at)treyst(dot)se>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Inherited indexes.
Date: 2005-10-02 21:37:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi.

To allow indexes to be inherited so unique, foreign keys and such works
properly with inheritance has been on the todo for quite some time. I
thought that most probably it is a very non trivial thing, perhaps
completely rethinking how indexes are done. Or perhaps it is not a
feature that is requested allot and therefor no one ever got around to
it. I am optimistic so I hoped for the second alternative and begun
browsing the sources to see what could be done.

Well, from what I have been able to figure out it is not trivial, at
least not to me. To be honest I have not completely figured out how the
existing indexes works and fit into the constraints.

I am not quite sure what I am asking for, quite allot I guess. Is there
someone already working on it? If so or if someone is considering
perhaps I should start with one of the tasks clearly marked as easy, as
an novice to postgresql hacking might be of better use then.
Or maybe it is quite easy with the right directions, as in; non complex
but takes time. So some one who knows what needs to be done, but do not
have the time themselves could give an outline?

regards

--
//Fredrik Olsson
Treyst AB