Re: RI_ConstraintTrigger question

From: "pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org" <pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, George Essig <george(dot)essig(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RI_ConstraintTrigger question
Date: 2005-09-28 00:20:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>
>> What you could do is to dump the database, edit the dump and restore it.
>
> Why not just drop and re-add the FK constraints?
>
> regards, tom lane

From all responses it seems that dump/drop is is the only way. This is
what I also understood from the documentation. I just hoped there is
another way (ALTER or so), that can be run LIVE, as the problem is not
so severe in order to justify the downtime. For example few weeks ago we
had several smallint columns that became overpopulated and it was so
easy to change them to integer without any downtime. I hoped for
something similar with the FK constraints. We will have to leave these
for some quiet time one day.

(we run 8.0.3 on FreeBSD 5.4)

Thank you for the comments.