Re: On Logging

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On Logging
Date: 2005-09-26 17:22:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:

>Simple logging is a default that should probably not change, but I'm
>thinking that for people who want to find something out from the logs,
>we could see about a kind of plugin architecture which would enable
>things like:
>
>* CSV
>* YAML
>* XML
>* Piped logs, as Apache can do
>* DB handle. I know this one will be controversial.

This list doesn't seem to be to be all in the same category. The first 3
concern format, the last 2 concern destination (and as such probably
don't belong in this discussion)

ISTM what we need is a proposal for an abstract structure that will
account for all the possible logging messages. i.e. the important issue
is not what structuring mechanism is used, but what structure it
reflects. For example, we might decide that there are 10 message types
and the each has certain fields.

(And much as I know you like YAML, I don't think its use is sufficiently
widespread to belong here anyway).

cheers

andrew