Re: Making CASE error handling less surprising

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Making CASE error handling less surprising
Date: 2020-07-24 15:22:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, that throws an error today, and it
> still would with the patch I was envisioning (attached), because
> inlining does Param substitution in a different way. I'm not
> sure that we could realistically fix the inlining case with this
> sort of approach.

Here's another example that we can't possibly fix with Param substitution
hacking, because there are no Params involved in the first place:

select f1, case when f1 = 42 then 1/i else null end
from (select f1, 0 as i from int4_tbl) ss;

Pulling up the subquery results in "1/0", so this fails today,
even though "f1 = 42" is never true.

Attached is a v3 patch that incorporates the leakproofness idea.
As shown in the new case.sql tests, this does fix both the SQL
function and subquery-pullup cases.

To keep the join regression test results the same, I marked int48()
as leakproof, which is surely safe enough. Probably we should make
a push to mark all unconditionally-safe implicit coercions as
leakproof, but that's a separate matter.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
safer-CASE-handling-3.patch text/x-diff 15.3 KB