Re: 8.1 release, next take

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.1 release, next take
Date: 2005-09-19 17:48:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

How about:

Roles allow permissions to be assigned to users or groups of users
easily. For this reason, roles allow database administration cost to
scale well as the number of users grows.

Simple discussion of why the PHB type might want to consider it.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Chris,
>

>>Roles: PostgreSQL has unified users and groups into a common object
>>type called a role. Access privileges are associated with roles, and
>>the unification makes it easier to manage access for large user bases
>>involving complex overlapping database privileges.
>>

>Too techie, I think. Database Roles are advertised as a feature in other
>DBMSes; what's the buzzword marketspeak for why people should want them?

Attachment Content-Type Size
chris.vcf text/x-vcard 127 bytes