Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From: "John Sidney-Woollett" <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
To: "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: "Ericson Smith" <eric(at)did-it(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date: 2003-12-29 23:41:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Actually, sometimes these questions will be postgres specific, and this is
where the docs are too light.

An example is an update statement using values from a correlated subquery.
Here's example code in pgsql:

update PHOTO.WPImage
set WPImageStateID = 3,
Width = WPImageHeader.Width,
Height = WPImageHeader.Height,
ContentType = WPImageHeader.ContentType,
ContentLength = WPImageHeader.ContentLength
where WPImage.WDResourceID = WPImageHeader.WDResourceID
and WPImage.WDResourceID = pResourceID
and WPImage.WPSizeTypeID = 0;

In Oracle this might be written:

update PHOTO.WPImage i
set WPImageStateID = 3,
(Width, Height, ContentType, ContentLength) = (
select Width, Height, ContentType, ContentLength
from PHOTO.WPImageHeader ih
where ih.WDResourceID = i.WDResourceID)
where WPImage.WDResourceID = pResourceID
and WPImage.WPSizeTypeID = 0;

You'll notice that the syntax is entirely different, and very relevant for
inclusion in the docs for each database's update statement.

I've mentioned it before but here it is again, contrast this explanation
of the UPDATE command in postgres with Oracle's explanation. Which one
would explain how to make use of a correlated subquery without resorting
to more googling or the list?

postgres: http://www.postgres.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-update.html

Oracle: http://miami.int.gu.edu.au/dbs/7016/a85397/state27a.htm#2067717

My point is not so much that the docs are difficult for newbies (and they
probably are), but that they just lack sufficient meat which really ought
to be included.

John Sidney-Woollett