Formatting TimeStamp

From: Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Formatting TimeStamp
Date: 2005-09-09 01:31:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Joshua,
I know that i can format it explicitly, but instead of using a SELECT *
FROM .. I have to name the columns which is not very convenient. Right
now I have created views for each table just to re-format the output of
the one timestamp field.

Mysql for example has a in addition to the TIMESTAMP also a DATETIME
type that returns |'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS'. So, I was wondering if there
is anything similar in postgres or can i set the precision or format of
the timestamp in the postgres.conf or can I define a new type.

Alex