Last Id?

From: Jan Danielsson <jan(dot)danielsson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Last Id?
Date: 2005-09-04 18:01:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello all,

I know how do do this in IBM DB2 and MySQL, but now my interrest has
shifted towards postgresql; I need to be able to insert a row, and find
out which id it was assigned. (I'm talking about using sequences here).

I have seen a few "currval", "last_value", tricks and such, but they
aren't good enough, AFAICT, since they only work when I can guarantee
that no one else will insert a new record between the time that I insert
one, and query for the last_value.

In IBM DB2 and MySQL there's a connection specific "last id" value
which can be queried. I assume there's something similar in postgresql
-- but what is it?

--
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson