timestamp moves when setting and getting a value from postgresql

From: Martin Taal <mtaal(at)elver(dot)org>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: timestamp moves when setting and getting a value from postgresql
Date: 2005-09-02 08:44:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,
I have a problem when saving and retrieving a timestamp from postgresql.
When I save a timestamp and retrieve it it gets moved two hours (my
timezoneoffset from gtm).

For example when I store 2 Sept. 2005 10:12:12 + 2. I get 2 Sept.
12:12:12+2 back.
When I look in postgresql (psql and then commandline select * from
table) then I can see that it stores 2 Sept. 12:12:12+2 in the timestamp
field although the time I pass in is 2 Sept. 2005 10:12:12 + 2.

Environment:
linux
postgresql 8.0.2
latest jdbc driver: 8.0-312 jdbc 2

The field type in the database is timestamptz

I debugged through the method setTimeStamp method and getTimeStamp
methods in
AbstractJDBC2Statement. My input to setTimeStamp:
a timestamp 2 Sept. 10:12:12 CEST
a calendar with timezone UTC

This results in the database in the timestamptz field in a value: 2
Sept. 2005 12:12:12 + 2.
In gettimestamp this same value is returned.

It seems that the changeTime method in AbstractJDBC2Statement actually
adds two hours (should it not subtract 2 hours to get from CEST to GMT?)
in addition the time zone of the computed value is set to CEST while I
pass a UTC calendar (so the timestamp field in the database should
actually contain: 2 Sept. 2005 8:12:12 + 0.

As an extra info the setTimeStamp(int, timestamp, calendar) method calls
setTimeStamp(int, timestamp) method. In this
last method a new GregorianCalendar is created. The timezone of this new
calendar is Europe/Amsterdam (my system timezone apparently).

I tried different things like instead of passing in a calendar with UTC
timezone, I tried Europe/Amsterdam. But this gave the same result.
The timezone setting of postgresql is Europe/Amsterdam.

Did I miss something or am I doing something wrong?
I am sorry if I missed something obvious.

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

The Elver Project
Barchman Wuytierslaan 72b