Bug in ILIKE?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Bug in ILIKE?
Date: 2008-09-26 02:04:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Good:

regression=# select 'T' ilike 't';
?column?
----------
(1 row)

Not so good:

regression=# select 'T' ilike E'\\t';
?column?
----------
(1 row)

ISTM backslash is only supposed to turn off the pattern-language
specialness of characters, not render them case sensitive. The reason
this happens is that the backslash case in MatchText() checks for exact
equality. I think it should be checking for TCHAR() equality, same as
when it is just checking two ordinary characters. Comments? Is this a
backpatchable bug fix, or should we only change the behavior for 8.4 and
beyond?