8.1 OUT params returning more than one row question

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 8.1 OUT params returning more than one row question
Date: 2005-08-31 16:27:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
I have been playing around with 8.1(it's very nice by the way) and was
trying to get OUT params to return more than 1 row.

I came up with the function below, and it does work, however I had to
declare another record to use in the FOR ..IN loop.

From my reading of the docs the out params create a record type
automaticly and my question is how can I use this automaticly created
record in the
FOR loop? It does not seem right that I have to create another record
type and then copy the row values to the out parms.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_func9(out firstname varchar, out
lastname varchar)
RETURNS SETOF record AS
$BODY$
Declare
row record;
BEGIN
for row in select null,description from common.common_groups
loop
firstname = row.description;
lastname = '';
RETURN NEXT;