Re: pgsql 8.1 instrumentation status

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql 8.1 instrumentation status
Date: 2005-08-29 09:21:09
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I won't implement date interpretation in the client, full stop.
You, as well as all others complaining about pg_logdir_ls, fail to
explain how a query like
select pg_file_unlink(filename) FROM pg_logdir_ls
where filetime < now() - '10 days'::interval
should work reliably. Try it with an alternate implementation, in the
presence of "bizarre filenames"!

>postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log gives us a search pattern of
>postgresql-*.log
>
>If anyone is a) mixing logs in one directory and b) using ambiguous
>names for different app logs in that directory, then they deserve any
>bizarre effects they might see *if* they try to view the wrong log. For
>everyone else, name format changes are now possible to suit their needs.

This logfile configuration stuff is a bummer. Anybody who changes it
will probably use his own logfile reader.

I'll be committing a 8.1 version of the admin package soon, which may be
switched over step by step to use core functions if applicable. For
now, most of them do not deliver the same functionality as present for 8.0.

Regards,
Andreas